Photography and Digital Media Facility
Photo Studio - Instructor Barrie Jones demonstrates lighting equipment
BC Binning Studio, 6373 University Boulevard
The Visual Arts Department offers an extensive photography and digital facility, which includes a photography studio with location and studio lighting systems, two black and white darkrooms, a black and white film processing area, a digital production room with video editing, image and film scanning, a large format inkjet printer and a video editing room all located adjacent to the Painting and Sculpture Building.
Students use the photography facilities for work sessions and critiques during their class time. In addition, students are strongly encouraged to use these facilities during a monitored period and by reservation on evenings and weekends for the production of individual and group projects. With access to conventional darkrooms, a shooting studio, digital printer, film and digital cameras, students are provided with the opportunity to work in both analog and digital photo technologies and are encouraged to combine both in their image production. Students are given the space to discover and experiment the many possibilities of the medium, combining theoretical and historical perspectives to their practice.
Digital Media classes are held in various up-to-date computer labs on campus. The Digital Lab in the BC Binning building houses 9 Apple MacPro and iMac workstations installed with Final Cut Pro Studio and Adobe Design Premium suites (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Dreamweaver, Flash etc). This facility is complete with a scanning workstation and a photographic quality large-format inkjet printer where students can order prints for their assignments on a cost recovery basis. This provides students with access to equipment and assistance enabling them to work on course projects in a creative environment with supervised and extended hours.
Hours of Operation; Binning Digital Lab* - Room 208, BC Binning Building:
- During school term - Open 10 to 7pm Monday to Thursday, Fridays 10 to 4:30pm.
- During school term - Open Sundays 12 to 4pm (beginning mid term - Feb 24, 2013).
- During school term - Work Learn staff available to assist students 3 to 7pm Monday to Thursday, Friday 1:00 to 3:00.
- Lab open 10 to 5pm until April 12, 2013. We are printing 1 to 5pm to Thursday, April 11, 1 to 3pm Friday, April 12, then Closed for summer.
Binning AV Equipment Cage Hours* - Room 106, BC Binning Building:
- During school term - Monday to Thursday 12 to 2pm and open again at 5 to 7pm.
- During school term - Friday 12 to 2pm only (no evening Cage hours Fridays)
- During school term - for Equipment/Studio Reservations phone - (604) 827-4400 during above hours.
- Monday, April 8 - Friday, April 12 - Open 12 to 2pm only.
- Monday April 15 - Thursday, April 18 - Open 12 to 4pm (for BFA show setup), then Closed for summer.
* Please note - above facilities and hours of operation apply only during Fall and Winter terms September to April each year. Closed or not generally available after the term ends or during the summer.
For additional information on the BC Binning photo/digital facilities, equipment or technical issues, please contact Rob Bos at firstname.lastname@example.org. For consultation on Photography or Digital Media courses, please see a Visual Art faculty member at http://www.ahva.ubc.ca/facultyDisplayVisa.cfm
To find answers to common questions about our facilties, printing service, software and policies, please refer to our BC Binning FAQ's sheet at www.ahva.ubc.ca/faqListQuestionsBinning.cfm