BA in Visual Art Program
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) Major in Visual Art, offers students a well-rounded program of visual art practice, critical theory and Art History, within a stimulating and challenging academic environment. Students enjoy a program that combines a focus on visual art practice with a broad range of elective courses. The BA strikes a balance between the study and practice of visual art in various media and academic work while providing ample room for study in other areas of interest.
In a program designed to develop conceptual skills, students explore a wide range of mediums and artistic approaches made available through our course offerings. Held in studio environments, our Visual Art classes foster individual creative production and visual literacy in a lively atmosphere of instructor-led debate, discussion and critique.
The BA Visual Art program is similar to a general liberal arts degree in that all Faculty of Arts requirements must be satisfied, with an emphasis on the practice of visual art, and normally consists of four years of study. The first two years are normally the first two years of the Bachelor of Arts program. Upon completion of first and second-year requirements, students may register as a BA in Visual Art student by declaring their Major as BA Visual Art, providing they have achieved an average grade of at least 72% in four 200 level visual art courses, in required 100 level VISA courses and in their 6 credits of ARTH courses (100 or 200 level). Departmental advising and approval is required prior to declaring a major and beginning 300 level VISA courses.
This program is well suited to, but not limited to, students contemplating a post-BA professional program in education, since it allows room to obtain a minor in a second teachable area within the 120-credit degree requirement. (Please consult the Department of Curriculum Studies in the Faculty of Education for further information).
BA Visual Art Program Requirements
First and Second Years
- 9 credits of VISA 180/182, VISA 183 and VISA 110 with an average of at least 72%
- At least 6 credits of 100- or 200-level ARTH, 3 of which must be ARTH 227, taken in the first two years (with a minimum average grade of 72%); this coursework is a required pre- or co-requisite to registration in 200-level VISA courses for majors
- 12 credits of 200 level VISA courses with an average of at least 72%
Third and Fourth Years
- Students must take a minimum of 30 credits in courses numbered 300 and above, including at least 9 credits of ARTH, 3 credits of VISA 380 and 18 credits of VISA - 3 of which must be 400-level
- A maximum of 12 credits in ARTE (Art Education 303, 305) courses may be substituted for VISA courses
- Students are not permitted to take ARTE 400 level courses as part of the BA VISA
- Potential education students are advised to choose 18 credits in a single non-visual art discipline to fulfill the requirements of a second teaching area.
- Students must include in the 120 credits required for the BA major degree at least 42 credits but not more than 60 credits in one subject (discipline) or filed of specialization.
For additional information please email email@example.com
BFA and BFA Honours in Visual Art | BA in Visual Art | BA in Visual Art (Minor)