BFA and BFA Honours in Visual Art Program
BFA in Visual Art
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Major in Visual Art is a professional program in the practice of art. It can lead to further studies in art practice such as a MFA or to other professional programs that involve the making and understanding of art and visual culture.
Courses become progressively more interdisciplinary as students progress through the program. To inform students’ own art production and facilitate critical thinking and discussion, BFA students are required to take a Studio Theory Seminar each term, concentrating on issues related to contemporary art practice, critical writing and theory.
Our BFA Program is designed for students who are contemplating a career in the visual arts, and it is well suited to students who seek a liberal education through the practice and study of art within a dynamic university setting. It provides an excellent foundation for students wishing to study or work in a variety of fields involving the making and understanding of art and visual culture.
The BFA Honours in Visual Art program is for students demonstrating, in the opinion of the Department, a special aptitude and capacity for visual art.
BFA Visual Art Program Requirements
First and Second Year
- 9 credits of VISA 180/182, VISA 183 and VISA 110 with an average of at least 72%
- At least 6 credits of 100- or 200-level ARTH, 3 of which must be ARTH 227, taken in the first two years (with a minimum average grade of 72%); this coursework is a required pre- or co-requisite to registration in 200-level VISA courses for majors
- 12 credits of 200 level VISA courses with an average of at least 72%
- VISA 380 and 381(Studio Theory) must be taken sequentially
- 12 credits of 300 level VISA
- 6 credits of ARTH 300 or above
- VISA 480 and 481 (Studio Theory) must be taken sequentially
- 12 credits of 400 level VISA
- 12 credits of elective courses (6 of them can be 200 level or above, but recommended 300 or above, while 6 of them must be 300 or above
BFA Honours in Visual Art
The BFA Honours in Visual Art utilizes the same strengths and range as the BFA, and is designed for those students who are outstanding in terms of overall achievement and who want the opportunity to enhance their study with advanced work in visual art. Students are expected to achieve a minimum average of 80% for their 12 credits of 200 level VISA courses. This program involves extended course requirements, with an additional 6 credits of Art History 400 level coursework and 6 credits of Visual Art 400 level coursework. Students who wish to enter the Honours program must obtain permission from the Undergraduate Visual Art Faculty Advisor.
BFA Honours Program Requirements
The same as the BFA
- 12 credits of 200 level VISA with an average of at least 80%
Third and Fourth Year
The same as the BFA with an additional 12 credits in the following pattern:
- 6 credits additional ARTH coursework at the 400 level
- 6 credits additional VISA coursework at the 400 level
For additional information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
BFA and BFA Honours in Visual Art | BA in Visual Art | BA in Visual Art (Minor)